I came across this dish while travelling and absolutely fell in love with it! The flavours are complex yet subtle, making this perfect for most food lovers. You can make a vegan version with tofu or add a meat of your choice or even leave it simple with just a boiled egg. Have made this multiple times at home so I thought this time around, I’ll share the recipe on the blog too!
What you’ll need
For the broth
2 Medium Carrots
2 Medium Onions
1 or 2 Chopped Leeks
1 Celery along with the leaves
1-2 Star Anise
1 Cinnamon Stick
2-3 Table spoons Dark Soy
For the Noodles
Any flat or Ramen noodles
Sliced French Beans
For the Garnish
Spring Onion greens
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger and garlic.
- To that, add chopped onions, carrots, celery stick, leeks, potatoes and the celery leaves.
- Add around 700ml of water, salt to taste and 2-3 tablespoons of Dark Soy.
- Leave this to simmer on low heat for at least 45mins to an hour.
- Meanwhile, in another pan, add some butter and chopped garlic.
- Add in the mushrooms, carrots and french beans.
- Once slightly cooked, add in boiled broccoli heads, salt and pepper and continue cooking for about 5-8 minutes.
- To that, add in your boiled noodles of choice and let it cook for about 2-3 mins.
- Boil an egg or stir fry some tofu or meat of choice.
- Strain the broth and let it rest for 5mins.
- In a deep bowl, add in the vegetable noodles, egg/meat/tofu and pour in a generous quantity of the broth.
- To garnish, throw in some spring onion greens, celery leaves and lemon.
- Enjoy hot!
Hope you guys enjoyed this recipe! If you do try it out don’t forget to share pictures with me on Instagram or email!